The following is information about how to get coverage in The Appalachian student newspaper.
We're doing something we would like covered in the campus newspaper. How do we get a story in The Appalachian?
Like any newspaper, there is no way to guarantee coverage - but there are ways to better your chances. Remember that they are students and appreciate being asked directly rather than going through their advisor. We always recommend the "shotgun" method - use as many of these approaches as you feel comfortable:
- Advertising, unlike editorial, is guaranteed, and all departments get a reduced rate. Download and print our current Rate Card.
- 'Appalachian News' is the newspaper's events calendar, sponsored by Student Development.You may Email the Assistant Director for Student Engagement in the Lee H McCaskey Center for Student Involvement and Leadership directly with your information.Be sure to put "Appalachian News" in the subject field.
- Email is always read by the staff. You can send a press release to the entire editorial board by sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A phone call is the next best thing to a personal visit.The newspaper editor's number is 828.262.6149. Depending on your issue, activity or event, you may want to contact the news desk directly at 828.262.3104. Keep in mind that this is a student office - you may have to leave a message.
- If you can catch them in their office, that's the best way. The Student Publications office is located on the Second Floor of Plemmons Student Union, STE 217, across from the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership.
- If you need further assistance, contact the Assistant Director for Student Engagement in the Lee H McCaskey Center for Student Involvement and Leadership at 828.626.6252 or email@example.com. Please keep in mind that the advisor may not dictate coverage.
I know you can't guarantee coverage - but what can we do to better our chances?
You can better you chances by:
- Giving the publication advance notice - at least a week.
- Talk to the staff in person. And make sure your talking to the right person - don't give a story idea to an ad rep.
- Don't talk down to the students or tell them what they should do.
- If its after the event, send the publication photos and information.
Can I write the story myself?
Not if you are part of the activity or event - that would be a conflict of interest. But you can send us a press release - write your own, go to the paper's online edition, or use our form.
We REALLY need to get this in the paper. We're willing to advertise. What can you do for us?
Offices, departments and student groups at ASU pay a lower rate. Local advertisers pay $5.50 per column inch, but our university affiliated rate is only $3.25 pci if using a budget code. What does that mean? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we create the ad ourselves will you give us a discount?
Sorry, department and student group ads are already heavily discounted.
Got a question you don't see here? Contact the Assistant Director for Student Engagement in the Lee H McCaskey Center for Student Involvement and Leadership at 828.262.6252 or email@example.com.
ASU Box 9025
STE 217, Plemmons Student Union
Boone, NC 28608
828-262-2157 (business office)